It’s day 8 and I think I’m over the emotional hump of all of these changes. I still want a glass of wine at night or a bowl of rice, but I’m feeling beyond the absolute lamentation that they’re “off limits”.
Perhaps one of the best parts of this experiment is that it really forces a thoughtfulness about what I’m eating and putting into my food and as a result, I’ve broken out of some of the lunch or dinner ruts I had been in. Or, conversely found myself happily entrenched in some others (like breakfast – if you follow my Instagram you’ll know the egg and avocado habit is real).
Rather than day by day, I’ll give you a meal by meal of what I’ve been eating this week:
Lunch and Dinner:
- Salmon (sous vide with ghee) with pan fried kale
- Roasted Carrots and Onions
- Pulled Chicken in coconut milk with tomatillo, chiles, cilantro, and lime
- Steaks with roasted red potatoes
- Roasted Chicken Thighs with Frank’s Red Hot
- Whole Foods Italian Chicken Sausages with Peppers, Onions, and poached eggs
- Tom Kha soup (recipe to follow)
- Eggs: Boiled, Poached, Fried
- LOTS of fruit: Berries, mango, bananas, apples
- Plantain Chips
- Pistachios in shell (take longer to eat)
- Perrier and other sparkling water
- Coffee, black and with cashew milk
- Tea of all types
- Lemon Water
I survived a baby shower for ShareABitOfLove without any food cheats (and man was it a fun day!). I did stray on the alcohol rule for one super salted champagne flute of ruby red margarita and I can’t say I’m a bit sorry. I also felt satisfied after one and moved back to my Perrier and coffee. We made all kinds of treats – deviled eggs (with my homemade mayo! I’ll post that later this week), bread free turkey meatball sliders, berry salads; it was delightful.
I’m headed back to Boston tomorrow, so I have one more day of farm fresh eggs and I plan to eat as many as possible. It’s Super Bowl Sunday. I have no doubt food will be a challenge but I’m determined.
If I have a sip or two of tequila, I apologize in advance.