Where’s Whole30 week 3? Yeah, there’s not. Life got too hectic to control every bite I ate and I didn’t feel I was going to get the full benefit doing it half way (more on that later).
For now, I’m still keeping it fairly light hoping my pants will respect my efforts. I bought cauliflower to make a creamy ‘bisque’ like this one, but in my pinterest rabbit hole got caught up in the idea of making cauliflower fried rice.
I’ll preface this with saying that I’ve tried cauliflower “mashed potatoes” and “pizza” and god knows what and I didn’t like any of it. But the texture of this seemed promising, and it was a good chance to use my new little Ninja chopper that’s been lurking since Christmas with no love.
I pulverized half a head in the chopper. I was surprised and impressed by the rice like texture. Promising.
Repeat with some mushrooms, garlic, and a shallot.
So turns out? A wok would be a helpful piece of kitchen equipment to have. Add that to the list for the next time I’m at Ikea.
Either way, I used a large pot on the stove and sautéed the mushrooms, garlic and shallot in a tablespoon of butter, pushed it aside to scramble two eggs, added the cauliflower and about a cup of stir fry veggies and mixed it all together.
This was not the most technical of recipes. Who needs that on a Tuesday?
To season I added some tamari, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne. (Ok and a few other random spices, see below).
Oh, and a chicken leg. Because I had them. But this would truly stand on its own as dinner!
For two servings, it’s about 225 calories a plate. Pretty guilt free for something that I’d be psyched to dive in to after closing time on a Saturday.
- 1/2 Large Head of Cauliflower
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Medium Portobello Mushroom
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1 Cup Stir Fry Veggies (mine included show peas, carrots, broccoli, and water chestnuts)
- 2 Tbs Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 1-2 Tbs Rice Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Celery Salt, Coriander, Parsley, Cayenne, and Paprika, to personal taste
- Chop cauliflower, garlic, shallot, and mushrooms
- Sautee garlic and shallot in butter
- Push aside and scramble two eggs, push aside in the pan
- Add cauliflower and veggies, cover and steam for 5 minutes
- Mix all together with tamarin, vinegar, salt, pepper, and personal taste seasonings
With some meat too, if you like.